Riley Red Wagon Funny Car to compete in U.S. Nationals
Don Schumacher Racing enjoys a winning tradition on the race track and in support of Riley Hospital for Children at Indiana University Health. This week as the Brownsburg-based race team prepares and competes in the U.S. Nationals, they will be inspired by first-ever Honorary Crew Chief A.J. Stinger, a huge race fan and cancer survivor.
During a Riley Children’s Foundation news conference on June 25, A.J., 14, publicly shared his cancer battle and helped Don Schumacher Racing unveil the Riley Red Wagon Funny Car to be driven by Tommy Johnson, Jr. (T.J.), during the U.S. Nationals on Labor Day weekend. Afterwards, Don Schumacher Racing surprised the Marion, Ind., teenager with the title of Honorary Crew Chief.
This week, A.J.’s role includes:
• Receive custom fit Riley red wagon race suit to match the one worn by T.J.
• Participate in meet-and-greet with T.J. and the Riley Red Wagon Funny Car during the Chevrolet Performance U.S. Nationals Fan Fest at Monument Circle;
• Serve as honorary recipient of Riley Dream Racer Car (Don Schumacher Racing and Riley Red Wagon Funny Car sponsor Terry Chandler is making the donation to Riley Hospital patients);
• Greet Don Schumacher Racing drivers as they arrive to visit patients at Riley Hospital;
• Introduce drivers at annual Don Schumacher Racing Open House;
• Receive Don Schumacher Racing VIP treatment at U.S. Nationals;
• Receive honors during driver introductions at U.S. Nationals.
Since 2006, Don Schumacher Racing has donated over $240,000 for Riley Hospital through their annual open house and bowling event. This year, Don Schumacher Racing hopes to raise an additional $30,000.
T.J., who resides in Avon, Ind., was victorious in the Funny Car race at Bristol, Tenn., on Father’s Day. During the U.S. Nationals, Don Schumacher Racing hopes for addition success with A.J. as their Honorary Crew Chief.
A.J.’s Honorary Crew Chief Schedule for Wednesday, August 26:
11 a.m.-2 p.m.; Chevrolet Performance U.S. Nationals Fan Fest
• A.J. participates in meet-and-greet with Don Schumacher Racing driver T.J. and Riley Red Wagon Funny Car
• Monument Circle, Downtown Indianapolis
2:30-3:30 p.m. – Don Schumacher Racing drivers visit patients at Riley Hospital
• Wearing a custom fit Riley red wagon race suit to match T.J., A.J. will greet Don Schumacher Racing drivers as they arrive at Riley Hospital to visit patients. He will also serve as Riley Children’s Foundation’s honorary recipient of a Riley Dream Racer Car (Don Schumacher Racing and Riley Red Wagon Funny Car sponsor Terry Chandler is making the donation for Riley Hospital patients).
• Riley Hospital for Children; Simon Family Tower Main Lobby; 705 Riley Hospital Drive; Indianapolis, IN 46202
About Riley Children’s Foundation
Riley Children’s Foundation supports Riley Hospital for Children at Indiana University Health, Camp Riley and the James Whitcomb Riley Museum Home. As Indiana’s only comprehensive hospital dedicated exclusively to the care of children, Riley Hospital has provided compassionate care, support and comfort to children and their families since 1924. Each year children from all 92 Indiana counties turn to Riley Hospital and its regional clinics throughout the state more than 300,000 times. Riley Hospital’s partnership with Indiana University Health and its strong affiliation with the Indiana University School of Medicine make Riley Hospital the leader in pediatric care in the state and the region. For more information, visit RileyKids.org.